Monday, April 10, 2006

Must have WINE!

Pregnancy is ruining my taste for wine.

Ok, that's not quite fair. My wife is obviously carrying all the burdens, literally and figuratively. She's the one who is told she can't drink. However, I feel guilty about enjoying any wine without her. Whenever we go to the store, she urges me to get something for myself. I peruse the aisles, pick out something interesting, and show it to her. Then I see those longing eyes, telling me how she wishes she could have some as well. I feel guilty. Either I put it back or I buy a cheap bottle.

Seven months of deprivation has dulled my taste buds. I've lost my ability to analyze a good Burgundy. The good news is that in two months or so, we can open the bottle of Riesling (which I have been holding onto for six years) to celebrate!

1 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Peter said...

Hello there! My name is Peter and I too am also in the blogging community. I read your post about wine and it just brought to mind this opening stanza of a poem by Belloc.

"To exalt, enthrone, establish and defend,

To welcome home mankind's mysterious friend:

Wine, true begetter of all arts that be:

Wine, privilege of the completely free;

Wine the recorder; wine the sagely strong;

Wine, bright avenger of sly dealing wrong,

Awake, Ausonian Muse, and sing the vineyard song!"

After seven pages, he ends with this line of praise:

"Strong brother in God and last companion, Wine."

http://www.trickypix.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home