Saturday, May 21, 2005

Random Notes

I am slowly preparing for my trip: asking for letters of introduction, buying a few articles of clothing and some new shoes (first time I've bought Timberland), some computer equipment, etc.

I did a quick reading of Böll's And Where Were You, Adam, which takes place on the eastern front during the waning days of WWII. I've opened Aunt Safiyya and the Monastery by Egyptian author Bahaa' Taher, a surprisingly insightful novel about revenge in Upper Egypt. I also bought a copy of Tristan by Gottfried von Strassburg, which I will bring along with a worn out copy of Balzac's Lost Illusion.

Some weekend reading: Nuno point to an exceptional entry about the prophetic literature of the Spanish moriscoes as it memorializes the loss of tradition -- must read! Nuno himself looks at photographer Joshua Banoliol (read the Googl-English).


Brandon links to a number of Star Wars and Sci-Fi related articles. After that, read Kevin Drum's assessment and the NY Post's analysis of Lucas' puritanical nightmare.

Useful: Miriam Burstein assembles links on literature and writers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home