Tuesday, August 17, 2004

French Memory
International Baseball
Silent Movie

Just a few quick notes:
  • I put up my first post at Cliopatria on WWII memorial ceremonies in France and Franco-American relations.
  • Far Outliers has a number of posts concerning baseball around the world, in particular in Asia (here, here, and here). Joel talk a lot about baseball, and you can find info on Japanese leagues in the archives. I have myself been thinking about European baseball: there is a nascent league in Northern Ireland, and I am curious about Dutch baseball--I notice that Netherlands has a team in the Olympics.
  • Geitner Simmons of Regions of Mind has a post about protests against Birth of the Nation in Los Angeles in the 1920s. For those of you who may not have known me for a while, I knew Lawrence Austin, who operated the silents-only theater Silent Movie on Fairfax in Los Angeles. Mr. Austin was a gentle and generous man: I wish that I attended the night that he showed Birth of the Nation to tell you what his comments were.
  • I should come up with something to say about Georgian separatism, more than what I have previously writte.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home